At a Glance
- LATW streamed The Importance of Being Earnest on theatermania.stream.
- They reached a global audience, with purchases made in 35 states and 13 countries.
- In the first 6 weeks of the show, LATW sold 1,223 tickets and generated over $17,000 in revenue.
L.A. Theatre Works’ mission is to record and preserve great performances of important stage plays, using new technology to make world-class theatre accessible to the widest possible audience and to expand the use of theatre as a teaching tool.
Founded in 1974, the organization fulfils its mission via a wide range of programs, including:
- Live Series – Held at UCLA’s 278-seat James Bridges Theater, the Live Series presents radio-theatre style live performances of classic and new plays with award-winning actors.
- National broadcast series – A weekly 2-hour broadcast that showcases a selected play carried on 50+ public radio stations across the country, streamed on their website, and released as podcasts.
- Education programs – Combining the power of professional theatre with the best features of digital technology to create arts-based educational tools that captivate students’ attention while they learn.
- Audio publishing – With a catalog of over 500 plays recorded specifically for audio publishing, they distribute their works through their retail partners and free to more than 13,000 libraries nationwide.
With their Live Series and other supporting programs shut down, L.A. Theatre Works (LATW) was in search of opportunities to keep the cash flowing as the COVID-19 pandemic continued to disrupt their normal operations and trusted revenue streams.
The LATW team made the decision to stream Roundabout Theatre Company’s production of The Importance of Being Earnest, filmed live in HD direct from the Broadway stage in 2011. Previously shown only in cinemas, this was the first time that the production was being made available for home viewers.
With the increased adoption of streaming theater, LATW saw a tremendous opportunity to reach a global audience with this offering.
“We saw that there was an audience for Earnest beyond just the folks who knew about it already,” said Fritz Meier, Marketing Director at LATW. “We also knew it was important to partner with somebody who could really supercharge that marketing effort, so that’s precisely why we selected TheaterMania Streaming.”
In addition to selling the show on theatermania.stream, it was publicized on TheaterMania’s social media channels, advertised on TheaterMania.com, covered editorially and promoted via targeted email campaigns sent to the TheaterMania community.
“We love people who love theater and our core marketing strategy is to reach those real theater nerds,” said Meier. “The TheaterMania audience is our target market, so it was a no-brainer to promote the show on TheaterMania.com and directly to their theater-loving community members.”
LATW achieved great success with their streaming of The Importance of Being Earnest. Their mission to use new technology to make world-class theatre accessible to the widest possible audience was fulfilled in every sense.
In the first 6 weeks, the show:
- Sold 1,223 tickets
- Generated $17,692 in revenue
- Was purchased by people in 35 states and 13 countries
“We didn’t have a really specific number in mind in regard to ticket sales because it’s a little bit of a step into the unknown,” said Meier. “But I can confidently say that our expectations have been exceeded and that we’ve certainly done better with TheaterMania than we’ve done with other partners. We’re just really pleased with the whole process – it’s been really great for us.”
For over 20 years, TheaterMania has provided essential news, reviews, and ticketing information to theater-loving audiences in North America and in the UK with our WhatsOnStage property. With over 23-million active audience members, TheaterMania continues to be the impartial and passionate voice for the performing arts. Consumers can also access curated ticket offers for upcoming events, including streaming shows from Broadway to Los Angeles and beyond.
About TheaterMania Streaming
TheaterMania Streaming, a live stream and video-on-demand service for theater and entertainment enthusiasts, provides arts organizations and content producers with an opportunity to bring memorable experiences right into peoples’ homes through the TheaterMania website (theatermania.stream), and OTT platforms such as Apple TV and FireTV.
Click here to learn about AudienceView Campaign Manager, our self-serve advertising platform.